Geoff Gordon was born in Kendal in 1950 and attended The Birmingham School of Music from 1969 to 1972, being taught piano by Constance Warren and Frank Wibaut, and clarinet by Angela Malsbury. After graduation Geoff taught music in secondary schools in Cumbria until 1993. He has been involved in a wide variety of musical organisations in the Eden area of Cumbria over many years, and has been Chair of the Cumbria Area of the Royal School of Church Music. Geoff is now retired from full-time employment, but remains Director of Music and Organist at St. Lawrence's Church, Appleby, and as such is custodian of the famous Appleby Town Organ. Geoff and his wife, mezzo-soprano Joan Gordon, are well-known local performers.